19 December 2010

A quick catch up

Considering I haven't 'blogged' on here for over a month, and the fact I'm bored with FaceBook and the missus is watching Scrooge (for the 73rd time), I thought it only right that I put finger to keyboard and briefly spout some nonsense about what I've 'done' since the Amerian Bittern trip.
On November 13th, I travelled with Archer up to Hollingworth Lake, Manchester, for that Pied-billed Grebe. At that point in time, my interest in this year-listing malarkey was taking a very steep nosedive and I wasn't that bothered about going but a few words of persuasion from Archer got me motivated and off I went. Arriving on site, we got among the crowd and soon I was enjoying decent views of only my 2nd PBG (287).



The next morning I met up with Archer & Devvo (Rich Collis - the middle aged Doncastarian Chav) and after abit of a bish, bash, bosh on Beeley Moor, Derbyshire, we eventually 'booted up' the Richard's Pipit (288). It was on this eventful trip that Devvo was sworn into the ASBO massive...




On the 20th November, myself, Mikipedia, Archer & Rich Challands made an early morning trip to Long Nab, Burniston, North Yorkshire in the hope of bagging Desert Wheatear. Suprisingly, other than Devvo & a couple of shady 'Aviarazzi types', we were the only sad, cold losers on-site! Unsuprisingly, the target had f*cked off overnight and we had to settle with a bit of piss-poor seawatching.




We then gave in to Mikipedia's craving for food and headed to Flamborough for some grub! The day got worse with the discovery that the Headland Cafe had shut up shop for the winter! Brief compensation came in the form of a Merlin tanking it in-off (289). The decision to go hunting for a 'golden arches' was soon made but as we travelled down the A614, news was relayed to us that a Black throated Diver was present at Swillington Ings, W.Yorks, some 70 miles away! Regrettably this would be a much needed year-tick and like proper sad bastards we headed inland! An hour (and abit) later, we arrived at the location, and after a '6ooyd walk' (more like a mile & half - thanks youth!) clapped eyes on the bird (290) - Nice!
The next morning, the same crew, minus Archer, caned it down to Rutland Water and swiftly knocked Lesser Yellowlegs off the list (291).



At this point, with 9 birds to go I was pretty confident that I'd hit 300, no issues! The next day at work I banged my last two days holidays in for the 29th & 30th November giving me a nice four days weekend coming up! Unfortunately, some snow casually arrived on the scene and hid my car from me for the duration of that aforementioned 4 day break!




The following weekend (4th & 5th December) was also shagged by the weather so I remained at home and subsequently discovered a healthy swarm of Waxwings loitering on our street in Tibshelf, Derbys.
On the evening of the 5th, I decided, with a heavy heart, that with just 6 remaining 'birding days' available for me during December, I would not be hitting 300 this year! The 11th & 12th were spent doing ridiculous xmassy type things like shopping & partying so we now come bang up to date to this weekend. On Saturday 18th I decided to do the patch (King's Mill Res', Notts) and realised just how shit (and unbelievably cold) patching can be, the highlights being 13 Teal, 10 Gadwall, 3 Wigeon, 1 Shovelar & a very obliging Water Rail that was trying to keep warm by cosying up between a Redwing & Blackbird!!!
Today, Sunday 19th, I again did KMR (with Mikipedia) and not suprisingly saw sweet F.A apart from quite possibly a record number of Common Gulls (too cold to count them but estimated to be over 160) and two Willow Tits at the feeding station in the car park. A sweep of fields nearby at Penniment Farm produced a very pleasing feeding flock of c150 Skylarks and 7 Grey Partridge. To finish of the morning, we, for some reason unbeknown to me, twitched a flock of 30 Waxwings at Pleasley NR, Derbys!



That latter episode kinda makes me think that's the end of that for this year...I may write an end of year review, I might not, just depends how pissed I get in the next week or two. I might try for 300 next year too.......Hang on, it's only quarter past nine, I'm not that pissed, am I??

No comments:

Post a Comment