22 September 2010

Lord of the Jynx (Torquilla)

This evening I received the following snippet of info. A pretty well known British Birdin' celeb' has been giving it some proper smack induced story telling on a 'Home Counties' Birdin' Yahoo Group (please note, to avoid the threat of (im)possible legal action, I have refrained from giving the authors name -

''This really has been one of the birding events of all-time in Buckinghamshire - such a well-loved, well-enjoyed and cripplingly-showing rarity(?). Once again, I ensured its safety until dark, making sure it roosted safely in its chosen Beech tree for a fourth night (a bird such as this could be a sitting target for a local Sparrowhawk). It flew to roost at 1915 hours and kept on feeding until just seconds before. It must be really heavy by now after consuming so many ants. As darkness fell, it was another calm evening, although quite cloudy, with a light SSW wind - pretty ideal leaping conditions - but not as ideal as the last two moonlit nights.''

To be honest, the above is pretty sad! It's like something bleedin' Tolkien would write! One wonders if he knocked one out and gave it a secure circle of salty water to protect it from demons and goblins! I have visions of this particular character dressed in some middle earth garb, armed with a bow & arrow, furtively keeping watch for marauding Sprawks from the depths of a small Hawthorn bush, eye(s) darting left, right and...left! All said & done tho', credit where it's due....

1 comment:

  1. "Once again, I ensured its safety until dark, making sure it roosted safely in its chosen Beech tree for a fourth night"

    Pure Disney!

    "It must be really heavy by now after consuming so many ants."

    Once again.... pure embellishment... I once consumed a whole termite mound whilst back-packing in Tanzania. I weighed myself soon afterwards and I can confirm that my weight did not increase a single ounce.

    ReplyDelete